Why Start a Line of Merch for Your Fashion Brand?
Maybe you’ve been working for fashion companies for 20 years and now want to venture into your own brand. Or, you’ve joined the e-commerce world and want to take advantage of digital technology to grow your own online fashion brand. Whatever your reason for stepping out with your own fashion brand, you’re probably still asking why you should start a line of merch.
Producing custom merchandise is a reflection of your brand. Deciding which line to follow really depends on your brand and how you want to promote it. Starting a line of merch gives you the following:
- Customer engagement: Having a product line gives you the opportunity to form a strong connection with your customers. The more engagement you have with your clients, the more support and loyalty you’ll have for your fashion brand.
- Marketing strategy: Your customers will not only recognize your business because of the cool fashion brand logo you’ve designed but also by your specific merchandise line. Creating a great line of merch means you get to stand out in the hectic world of fashion.
- Cash: What’s a successful business without a healthy cash flow? If you’re innovative enough with your merchandise line, you can expect an increase in revenue to keep growing your business.</span
Fashion merchandising is a cut-throat business and finding your niche in the industry may be presented with some challenges. But, it can be done. It all comes down to knowing how to go about creating your product line while making it profitable.
How to Start a Line of Merch for Your Fashion Brand
Custom t-shirts, funky jewelry, or designing your own range of shoes are all ways of creating a merchandise line for your fashion brand. Most times a brand is a result of your initial passion for fashion and crafting a certain product. But, how can you start your own product line while ensuring it’s successful at all times?
While there’s a whole range of ideas on how to start your own merchandise line, there are two key elements to consider.
1. Identify Your Niche Market
The first step to starting any merchandise line is understanding your niche market. You know you’re focusing on people who love fashion but you’ll need to narrow down this niche to match your product. If you’re creating custom t-shirts, think about the type of person who will want to buy your style. The same applies to any fashion product you’re designing.
Ask yourself the following questions before deciding on your line of merch for your own brand:
- Who is going to buy my product? Your audience could be babies, kiddies, teenagers, women, or men. The list goes on so make sure you know your niche market well.
- How do I connect with my audience? The answer depends on whether you’re operating out of a physical fashion store or if you’re selling through e-commerce platforms.
- What does my audience value most? If you’re designing for babies, your typical audience wants a product that is comfortable and safe for their little ones. Teenagers want sassy designs while your upmarket gentleman wants elegance and class.
By identifying your niche market, you can design your line of merch in accordance with your audience’s needs.
2. Develop Your Professional and Business Skills in the Industry
If you’re leaving the corporate fashion world to develop your own line of merch then make sure you take advantage of the professional skills you learned. This could include understanding how retail buying works and the manufacturing process.
Starting your own line of merch would benefit from you having some form of training in the fashion industry. Consider developing professional skills by signing up for an online course with a fashion school. These programs don’t only equip you with fashion design skills but they give you the latest trends to be aware of, industry standards, and how to put together your own business plan.
Many fashion brands fail because they don’t have the business savvy required to stay afloat in a competitive industry. Your attention may be focused more on creating a fashion brand instead of quality product control. Other problems include not having a business plan in place or crafting a poor one. Fashion brands also collapse because of cash flow problems stemming from poor management or a lack of financial knowledge.
Developing your professional and business skills for the fashion industry will give you the necessary competency you need to ensure your line of merch is successful. You’ll be able to give your customers what they want while maintaining quality, engagement, and a healthy cash flow.
Having your own fashion brand is thrilling. You’ve worked hard to create it and now you need to focus on building a line of merch to promote your brand. It takes a willingness to take risks but these can be mitigated by knowing who your niche market is and building the necessary skills to survive in the world of fashion. Make sure you’re one of the fashion brands that succeed by starting a merchandise line that grows your business from day one!